Independent Supporters - EHCP assessments and transfers

Providing support in Lambeth, Southwark and Croydon

Family Lives offers an Independent Support service in Lambeth, Southwark and Croydon. Independent Supporters provide free and impartial information and support during the assessment and transfer processes of an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). 

Independent Supporters can support children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities and their parents/carers if:

  • They are being newly assessed for an EHCP
  • They are being transferred from a Statement of SEN or a Learning Difficult Assessment to an EHC Plan
  • They live in Croydon, Lambeth or Southwark

Independent Supporters can help parents/carers, children and young people by:

  • Supporting you throughout the EHCP assessment and transfer processes
  • Providing information about EHCP  and the local referral, assessment and transfer processes 
  • Helping you to contribute to the EHCP and have your views heard and made central
  • Helping you to put together a one page profile
  • Providing information about the local offer
  • Providing information about personal budgets
  • Acting as a named contact and liaising across agencies during the assessment and transfer processes, as required
  • Signposting you to the local Information, Advice and Support Service when the issue is outside the remit of an Independent Supporter

If you live in CroydonLambeth or Southwark and want to speak to an Independent Supporter about an EHC Plan assessment or transfer, get in touch with us on on 020 3131 3150 or email us at

What is an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)?

Statements of SEN and Learning Difficulty Assessments (LDAs) are being replaced by Education, Health and Care Plans. 

EHC Plans are integrated plans of education, health and social care provision for children and young people aged 0 – 25 with SEN and disabilities.  They focus on identifying individual outcomes and put children, young people and parents/carers at the centre of the assessment, planning and review processes.  EHCP focus on what the child or young person wants to achieve, and what support is needed to make this happen.

What is the Local Offer?

Every local authority must publish in one place information about provision for children and young people with SEN and disabilities and support for their families.  This is called the local offer.

Information, Advice and Support Services in your borough:

Useful Guides 

To be referred to an Independent Supporter, get in touch: