The news that you are pregnant with twins or more can come as a huge surprise. Your emotions might veer between moments of excitement and moments of panic at the thought of double the delight and double the trouble. Just remember that the moments of calm in between these thoughts will speak of double the love. You might recognise some of these questions that other parents have asked on hearing that they are expecting twins:
- How will we cope?
- What on earth are we going to do?
- How will we manage a daily routine with more than one baby?
- Can I breastfeed more than one baby?
- Where do we find a pushchair for twins?
New parents often find themselves tired, worn out and overwhelmed. It is a good idea to anticipate the challenges that raising more than one baby will bring. Try to organise regular support as early on as you can so you are able to take time to recharge your batteries. You may just need extra help around the house, or a break so you can have much needed time out.
- Many mothers expecting twins or multiples wonder whether they will be able to breastfeed.
- Mothers of twins have found that the increased demand for milk, created an increased supply.
- You may find it suits you to breastfeed your babies at the same time, but this will probably change as they get older and their hunger patterns change.
Useful contacts if you are pregnant with twins or multiples
It may help to chat to other parents on our forums to find out how they are dealing with this issue within their family life. You can also talk to us via our live chat service, email us at email@example.com or call us on our helpline on 0808 800 2222 to speak to trained family support worker.